The Law and The Grace!!!
For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ……. John 1:17
In our previous Study, we considered how the Word became Flesh. And how it is the greatest mystery in the whole Bible. Today, we shall go further in our study by Looking carefully at the He difference between the Law and Grace. Did God made a Mistake by Giving Man the Law when He knew that Man could not keep it? Why is the Law important? How do we know if we have entered a life of Grace?
Firstly, permit me to review some more about the Word becoming Flesh. This point needs to be emphasized again and again until we get revelation on it.
We will never have Faith to become Like Jesus if at the back of our mind we think Jesus has a special power that is not made available to others. Our Hope of becoming Like Jesus must be based on the Fact that Jesus walked on Earth as a Man. The problem with Churches is that they have over emphasized Jesus as God and has left out His Humanity. And because the Humanity of Christ is not taught, Believers feel it is impossible to become Like Jesus.
But what the Bible really teaches are:
(a) The WORD became FLESH. John 1:1 makes it Clear that the Word was God. But God became Flesh. That is why Jesus was Called Emmanuel which means “God with Us”. So the Bible teaches that Jesus is God but when He came to Earth, He emptied Himself of all the privileges He has as God(Philippians 2:6-7), and Lived on Earth as a Man. For example, God cannot be Tempted(James 1:13),but Jesus was Tempted. God does not Sleep but Jesus slept. God Knows All things but Jesus said while He was on Earth that He does not know when He was Coming Back. All these was so because Jesus had emptied Himself of the Privileges He has as God.
(b) Why was it necessary for Jesus to Come to Earth as a Man? God would have been accused of Wickedness If Jesus came to Earth with Special Powers. How are we to follow a Man who is not like us? Jesus could never be an Example for Us If He never came as a Man. That is why the Bible says “He had to be Made in ALL things like Us(Hebrews 2:17-18). He had to Come with a Flesh that is drawn and tempted to Sin Like Us. In fact, the Bible says” He was tempted at ALL Points exactly like Us Yet He never Sin(Hebrews 4:15).
This is why we can Learn from Him. This is why we can use Him as Our Example. If He never came to Earth as an Ordinary Man, it would be impossible for us to Follow Him.
This is the Mystery of Godliness “God was manifested in the Flesh (1 Timothy 3:16)” If you want to Live a godly Life, this is the Mystery God must reveal to You. This was the Mystery that Changed my Life. Seeing that Jesus came exactly like Me, tempted just Like Me and Yet He never Sinned. Is this not amazing? That there was a Man who Walked on Earth for 33 years without Sinning. And Jesus says to Me “Follow Me, Learn From Me, Overcome as I Overcame”
Oh how I wish this Truth about the Humanity of Christ was properly Emphasized in Churches. Many Young Believers would have been Challenged by the Life of Jesus. Believers would have been more Christ-like if they were Told that Jesus came and was tempted exactly Like them. I have Walked into many Churches hoping to hear them emphasize these Truths about the Humanity of Christ but I have not seen one in my area( if you found one, inform Me, I will love to join). I want to be in a church who will constantly challenge me to become more Like Jesus in all areas of My Life.
Dear Friend, the Christian race is a very interesting Race if You understand the Race. The Race is not Just to get to Heaven, the Race is to be conformed into the image of Christ from one degree of glory to another. God’s plan for You is that Your Life should be the Aroma of Christ. Anyone who comes in Contact with You must perceive Jesus in You. And the Only way God can do that for You is to Learn from Jesus Christ. He says to You “Come to Me All you who Labour and heavy Laden with Laws and struggling to please God and I will give you rest. Take My Yoke upon You and LEARN from Me and You will find rest (Matt 11:28-29). The reason why you have so many problems in your life is because You are not Learning Christ. Your Church has hidden this Great Mystery from You and that’s why their Teachings is not Leading You to a godly Life.
Remember Jesus Came as a Man. Tempted Exactly Like You. It is possible to Walk as He Walked (1John 2:6).
It will be done to you according to Your Faith!!!
But as For Me and the Brothers and Sisters the Lord has added Unto Me, We will Walk in the Footsteps of Jesus by His Grace. We will prove to Our Generation that there is a remnants who still believe in the Truths that the Early Apostles and Churches taught. We are not perfect, we are still far away from becoming Like Jesus. But we are pressing on Towards perfection. But this we know, that when We See Him, We Shall be Like Him and If anyone has this Hope of Becoming Like Jesus, Let Him purify Himself Just Like Christ Did(1 John 3:2-3).
For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.: The Law represents the Old Covenant while Grace represents the New Covenant but we must note that the Bible says, “For if the First Covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second (Hebrews 8 :7). We will never Understand the New Covenant unless we have a proper Understanding of the Old Covenant. We will never Understand GRACE Unless We Have first Lived Under the LAW. In fact, the Bible says the Law was our Tutor to bring us to Christ. (Galatians 3:23-24).
So what is the Old Covenant? Why was the Old Covenant Faulty? Did God made a Mistake by Introducing something that He knew to be Faulty?
(1) A Covenant is simply an Agreement. The Old Covenant is an Agreement that God made ONLY with the Children of Israel. The Children of Israel were the only nation that had a relationship with God. All other nations of the world were considered as Gentiles( nations without God). Now My question is:” Did God care Only for the nation of Israel? Why must He be in a Relationship with Only Israel and leave other nations of the world out?” It was simply because He knew that the Agreement with Israel is not going to Last Forever. He knew that a New and better Covenant was Coming. So God intentionally made this Covenant with Israel to Limit the Spread of this agreement.
So precisely, What is the Old Covenant? The Old Covenant is the LAW. For the Children of Israel to be in Relationship with God, they were given so many LAWS to Keep. But for our study, we will only use the Major Ten commandments(Exodus 20:1-17). The Ten commandments are wonderful Laws but there is something significant I want us to notice. All those Laws started with “YOU SHALL or YOU SHALL NOT”. The Old Covenant is a Way of life of trying to please God with YOUR OWN strength. So I see God saying to Israel ” if you think you can please me with your own Strength and abilities, try and keep these Laws perfectly exactly as I have Commanded it”
(2) Why was the Old Covenant Faulty? Did God made a Mistake? Far from it!!! God Never makes Mistakes. The righteous requirements of the Law could not be fulfilled in Us because of the weakness of the Flesh(Romans 8:2-5). After Man Sinned, He became Flesh, and the Flesh is so weak that it has no power to Fulfill what the perfect Laws of God requires from Him. But Man is so stubborn, He will not admit his Weakness until He has tried it several times and Failed. So God in His wisdom picked Only the Nation of Israel to show other nations of the World that “You can not obey ALL my LAWS with Your own abilities because of the Weakness of Your Flesh. No matter How much you try to Keep my Laws, you will always Fail because You are Weak”. Paul got to a Stage in His Life and He said ” The Law is spiritual but I am Carnal… For what I will to do, that I do not practice, what what I hate, that I do. O wretched Man that I am! Who will deliver me form this body of death?(Romans 7:14-24).
(3) So we see that the Laws of God are Perfect, but we Have a Nature that is weak to fulfill the requirements of those Laws. So God used the Children of Israel as a Case study for other Nations of the World to Teach them that they can’t Please Him with their own abilities and Strength. God gave the Laws to show Man His need and Sin. For the Law made nothing perfect, on the other hand, there is a bringing in of a better hope through which we draw near to God(Hebrews 7:19). Are you struggling to Please God? Are you trying so hard to open His word? There are Many more Hard Commands in the New testament. How are you going about it? Do you think God is a Hard Master? Come up higher my Friend!! God has offered us something better in the New Covenant. God has provided something for us that the Children of Israel never had. Don’t come short of it!!!
What is Grace? Is Grace God’s Unmerited Favour?
(1) 99% of Christians defines Grace as God’s Unmerited Favour. But I am sorry to disappoint you that such definition of Grace is not found in the Bible. Amplified Bible has translated Grace to be Unmerited Favour and those who don’t compare Scriptures with scriptures have gotten a wrong definition of Grace. So then, what is Grace? One thing we must note from (John 1:17) is that Grace came through Jesus. Which means there was No Grace until Jesus came. So if Grace means God’s Unmerited Favour, are you saying All those who Lived in the Old Covenant Merited what God did for them? Since God’s Unmerited favour started when Jesus came, then those it mean that All those who lived before Christ Merited what God did for them. What I am saying is that before Jesus came, people have been enjoying God’s Unmerited Favour. And if we say Grace is Unmerited Favour, and that Grace came through Jesus, then there is no consistency in our definition of Grace.
So then, What is Grace? Grace is the power and Strength given to Us in Our time of weakness( 2 Corinthians 12:9). In Hebrews 4 :16, we are told to come boldly to the throne of Grace to find Help in time of need. And our greatest need is that we are so so weak in time of Temptations. So Grace is what strengthens Us to do what we cannot do. Titus 2:11-12 says ” The Grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to ALL men teaching Us to say” NO” to Sin. Because there is nothing Good that dwells in our flesh and as a result of its Weakness, we need power from God to say NO to Sin. No wonder the Bible says ” Sin shall not be your Master because you are not under the Law but Grace” A very important way to know if you are experiencing the True Grace of God is that “Sin can NEVER rule any aspect of Your Life” If there is any aspect of your Life you are trying to Hide because there is darkness and Sin in it, then am sorry to inform you that You are not living under Grace but under Law. As Wonderful as David was, despite He was always praising God with songs and Hymns. Yet When He saw Bathsheba He could not control his Lust. Even Moses, as a result of anger, He could not enter the Land of Canaan. Noah got drunk and Slept naked in his tent. Abraham lied two times concerning his wife Just to save his life. Samuel could not raise his children in the way of the Lord. All the men in the old Covenant were great but there was something that was not made available to them. They had No Grace. They tried their best but always Come short in an area. But we see Jesus who was made like Us, tempted at all Points just like every other man, Yet He never Sinned. Let us therefore come boldly to the Throne of Grace so that We may obtain MERCY and find GRACE to Help in time of Need. (Hebrews 4:15-16).
remember for Many years, each time I approach the Throne of Grace, the Only thing I obtained was MERCY. And the result of this was that I was continuously defeated by the Same Sin and I kept Coming back again and again and again for MERCY over the same Sin.
Until I met a godly Brother who showed Me that each time I approach the Throne of Grace, I was suppose to obtain MERCY for My Past Sins and GRACE to Overcome next time I am tempted in that Area. It is a serious thing to be ignorant of what God has provided for Us o!!!!
Do You remember the Woman Caught in Adultery that was brought to Jesus? Jesus said to Her “I do not condemn You: Go and Sin No more!!!” (John 8:11). This Woman Got MERCY(I do not condemn You) and GRACE(Go and Sin No more)
(2) God gives His Grace only to the Humble(James 4:6). The reason why Sin never had Dominion over Jesus when He walked on Earth as a Man was because He received Grace from God the Father. Jesus was the Humblest Man who walked on Earth. Right from his birth to his death, we saw His Humility. He was born in a Manger, worked as a Carpenter, always serving people, died like a Criminal and buried in a borrowed tomb. No wonder God the Father anointed Him with More Grace than everyone of Us. There is no partiality with God. If He sees any other Man walking in Humility in the Footsteps of Jesus. He will give such a Man Grace also. No wonder Jesus says” Learn from Me for I am Humble and Meek( Matthew 11:29).
Dear Friend, God has offered Something better for us in the New Covenant. The Spirit of Grace is poured out. Remain Humble to always receive Grace from God. Anytime you Sin, just admit that it is because you are proud, that is why You didn’t get Grace to overcome. Because Sin Can NEVER have Dominion over a Man that is Under Grace”. May the Lord grant us wisdom to apply these truths to our lives. (Amen). God bless you. Have a blessed day.
#Everyday with Jesus